Dangerous Goods Group E – Baggage Handlers, which is accredited by the SACAA is designed for ramp and warehouse personnel. These personnel are required to demonstrate competence in the functions associated with the transport of dangerous goods by air for which they are responsible.
Subsection 1.5 of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations requires that the employer must ensure that personnel are competent to perform any function for which they are responsible prior to performing any of these functions. This must be achieved through training and assessment commensurate with the functions for which they are responsible. Dangerous Goods Group E – Baggage Handlers course ensures compliance with this regulation.
- Baggage Handlers
After thorough study and use of this training workbook the student will:
- Be able to identify dangerous goods;
- Have knowledge of the origin of the current regulations and be aware of the general philosophy;
- Be able to identify the classes of dangerous goods;
- Recognize and identify the hazard/handling labels applicable to dangerous goods;
- Recognize and identify dangerous goods package use and package specification markings;
- Be able to identify potential hidden hazards in cargo and baggage;
- Be aware of the provisions for dangerous goods in baggage of passengers and crew;
- Be familiar with dangerous goods emergency response procedures.
- Learners are awarded a CAA Accredited certificate of competency which is valid for 24-months upon successful completion.
- This course meets the training requirements of Part 92 – Conveyance of Dangerous Goods of the South African Civil Aviation Regulations, as well as the ICAO requirements for Dangerous Goods training (CAA/DG/0031).
- This course is presented by Professional Aviation Services. (CAA/DG/0031).