The Dangerous Goods Category 10 course, which is accredited by the SACAA is designed for flight crew, flight dispatchers and for personnel responsible for determining the appropriate loading positions in aircraft cargo compartments for dangerous goods shipments (load planners/load masters). These personnel are required to demonstrate competence in the functions associated with the transport of dangerous goods by air for which they are responsible.
Subsection 1.5 of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations requires that the employer must ensure that personnel are competent to perform any function for which they are responsible prior to performing any of these functions. This must be achieved through training and assessment commensurate with the functions for which they are responsible. The Dangerous Goods Category 10 course ensures compliance with this regulation.
- Flight crew members
- Load masters and load planners
- Flight operations officers and flight dispatchers
After thorough study and use of this training workbook the student will:
- Understand the definition of “dangerous goods”;
- Have knowledge of the origin of the current regulations and be aware of the general philosophy;
- Be able to identify the classes of dangerous goods;
- Be able to read and interpret the information contained in the List of Dangerous Goods;
- Recognise and identify the hazard and handling labels applicable to dangerous goods;
- Recognise and identify dangerous goods package use and package specification marks;
- Be able to identify potential hidden hazards in cargo;
- Be able to apply the loading requirements that apply to dangerous goods offered as air cargo;
- Be able to read, understand and apply the information contained in the Special Load–Notification to Captain (NOTOC);
- Understand the provisions for dangerous goods in baggage of passengers and crew;
- Be familiar with dangerous goods emergency response procedures.
- Learners are awarded a CAA Accredited certificate of competency which is valid for 24-months upon successful completion.
- This course meets the training requirements of Part 92 – Conveyance of Dangerous Goods of the South African Civil Aviation Regulations, as well as the ICAO requirements for Dangerous Goods training (CAA/DG/0031).
- This course is presented by Professional Aviation Services. (CAA/DG/0031).